Friday, December 20, 2013

Rangitoto Island



One of the delights of writing my books is the excuse it gives for visiting interesting places. I hadn't been to Rangitoto Island for many years, but when a character decided to go on an outing there in my work-in-progress, I decided it was high time I paid the island a visit.

Rangitoto Island is a familiar sight to anyone who's visited Auckland. The island is roughly circular, so it looks the same from all directions. It's a relatively young volcano, last erupting a mere 500 or so years ago.

We took the ferry over one morning, and set out to climb to the 260-metre (850 feet) summit.

The dominant species of Rangitoto's forest cover is pohutukawa, sometimes called the New Zealand Christmas Tree for its profusion of red flowers at Christmastime (we were there just a little too early for its flowering). Pohutukawa and other species are gradually covering the island, especially since the major pest eradication of recent decades, but there are still large areas of bare lava flow:

Those fields of jagged lava make it all the more impressive to see how vegetation takes hold, survives, and eventually thrives in this challenging environment.

Looking into the crater from the summit:


We walked around the crater, with fine views in all directions:


On our descent, we took a short detour to the lava caves. These were formed when the outside of lava flows cooled while the contents kept moving, leaving hollow tubes:


We made a more leisurely day of this lovely outing than the energetic young visitors of my work-in-progress, but enjoyed it just as much as they did.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh - I've been there! I know where you were - I have some very similar photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know we've trodden the same paths, Jo! Happy Christmas to you.

      Delete
  2. That looks beautiful! I live just a short distance from an active volcano here in Sicily, Mt. Etna, and the landscape looks very similar to the photos you've posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Elliott! What an interesting place you live in.

      Delete
  3. I am so thrilled to see you are writing a new book! I have just finished all of your books and am at a loose end now. Cant wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! My readers must be some of the most patient on the planet. :)

      The new one's coming along well, albeit slowly!

      Delete
  4. I have just finished Promises to Keep series and the sequel, Daisy's War. I have never enjoyed a Historical series more. I love the style you write without all the he said and she said. I felt more like I was actually hearing the conversations. I follow Nadine Christian, a new author on Pitcairn Island and have enjoyed the history about her island. She is from NZ and when Sentence of Marriage was offered as a free kindle book, I was excited to read more about the island. Never did I expect to be drawn in like I was. It's strange to think of December being summer as I live in Missouri in the U.S. of A. I have to say I enjoyed when the characters were in the country, better than when they were in the city. I'm a country girl, perhaps that's why. It will take all my patience to wait for your Work in Progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janet! It's great to hear how much you've enjoyed my books.

      I'm a country girl at heart myself, too - as you may have guessed!

      Delete